Free and partially subsidised transport to school

Coronavirus: disruption to services

Advice on how our services will be affected

3. Special educational needs

Coronavirus - Special educational needs and disabilities (SEND) home to school transport

Read the latest about SEND home to school transport from September 2020 including the precautions we will put in place and transport personal budgets.

Usually free transport to school is provided for children who live further than the statutory walking distance from school, if they attend the nearest suitable school. 

For a child with an education, health and care (EHC) plan however, the nearest suitable school may well be different than for other pupils, and walking may not be an option.

Lancashire County Council provides a home to school transport service for pupils with special educational needs up to the age of 16, or 19 if they are continuing to attend school.

The transport is provided in a number of ways:

  • free travel permits for public transport
  • mini-bus
  • specialist mini-bus
  • taxi/people carrier
  • wheelchair accessible taxi

Children with statements of special educational needs or EHC plans

SEN officers will decide whether your child gets free travel to school, using the information submitted during their statutory assessment. 

They will let transport staff know what type of support your child needs so they can provide the right type of vehicle, the correct restraint and clamping systems to be used and the level of supervision/care.

Transport arrangements will be kept under review. The annual review of your child's statement or EHC plan provides a formal opportunity to review any transport arrangements.

If they decide that your child does not need special transport arrangements, then the general home to school travel policy will apply.

This is only a summary of the county council's home to school transport policy for children and young people with special educational needs and disabilities. It is intended to act as a guide for parents and is not a definitive statement of policy. Please see the full policy for further information or contact the area education office for advice.

If your child does not have a statement or EHC plan

The general home to school travel policy will apply. Please contact the area education office for advice.

Parental preference and transport

If you choose to send your child to a school that Lancashire County Council does not consider to be the nearest suitable school, there is no duty to provide free transport. You will need to make your own transport arrangements.

Who to contact

See the list of school transport contacts for more information.

Page 3 of 11

School transport