Equipment and Telecare


If you are coping with sight loss, hearing or both (even though you wear glasses/hearing aids) or if you have difficulty with everyday tasks such as:

  • getting into and out of your property
  • getting up and down stairs
  • getting in and out of the bath
  • making your own meals or even carrying a drink

You may wish to find out about equipment or adaptations to help you in your home

If you have a district nurse or therapists involved in your care they can provide advice and may be able to offer some equipment to help you.

How to get equipment

If you think you, a family member or friend needs adult social care support please see getting our support information.

You may be contacted by the Occupational Therapy service who can advise on services that help people remain in their own homes for as long as they want to.

If you are eligible, we can recommend equipment and provide you with a prescription to obtain simple equipment from local retailers across Lancashire. This gives you more choice and control over the type of equipment you can choose and where you get it from.

You can buy your own equipment without coming to us. For more advice contact:


If you need more than just equipment you may need to consider Telecare services. Telecare provides support and reassurance to you, family and carers. It uses wireless sensors monitored by a call centre 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. It can provide an early warning that, for example, a person:

  • has fallen and is unable to call for help
  • has a tendency to wander away from the house
  • is having seizures or blackouts as a result of a medical condition
  • needs a reminder to take medication as prescribed

Telecare can also give an early warning if there is:

  • a flood from the bath or sink
  • a build up of smoke or gas within the home
  • extremes of temperature

Systems can be designed to suit the needs of the individual using them.

More information about equipment and Telecare options

What we don't provide

Lancashire County Council is not responsible for services that the NHS is required to provide. For example; wheelchairs, beds and walking aids.

If your needs are mostly health related the NHS is responsible for supporting you.

For more information see 'NHS Choices What is NHS continuing healthcare' (External link).