Extra Care housing
Extra care describes a type of accommodation for people aged 55 and over who have a care need. Extra Care accommodation supports people to keep their independence as they live in their own home.
Tenants can expect:
- A one or two-bedroom apartment (own tenancy) with its own kitchen, lounge and bathroom
- In-house background care and support
- Support with unexpected events such as falls or emergencies from carers who are on site 24 hours a day
- Lift access on all sites and mobility scooter storage in some (via a communal storage facility or storage in the person's own room)
- Additional support in Extra Care is personalised (via individual packages of care) to meet people’s needs as they change over time so they can live independently for longer.
In Extra care schemes, there is a mix of individuals with differing need to ensure a diverse, welcoming and rewarding community.
Many Extra Care schemes usually have communal facilities such as a café and a community hub meeting place and all schemes have easy access to shops, the town centre and community facilities.
If you are thinking about moving, maybe because your current home is too much to manage or doesn’t meet your needs and you want to retain your independence and privacy, Extra Care housing might be an option for you. It can help you to stay as independent as possible and offers a great deal of choice and control over care and support needs.
Benefits of Extra Care
- Having your own 'front door' ensures your privacy
- Couples can stay living together
- The community aspect offers socialising opportunities, reducing the risk of isolation
- A consistent care team – the same carers on site every day - help with monitoring potential ongoing issues
Extra Care housing allows people to move out of their homes when they are finding it difficult to cope, into a home where they can be secure and live independently. In some circumstances, Extra Care Housing also allows people to move out of residential care and return to independent living.
Please note Extra Care does not replicate a care home and cannot accommodate individuals with 24-hour care needs.