Alcohol and drug rehabilitation

If you, a family member or friend need help to access alcohol or drug rehabilitation services, contact the Substance Misuse Team by calling 0300 123 6720.

After you have been referred to the Substance Misuse Team, a social worker will contact you for a brief phone discussion, followed by an initial appointment.

At your initial appointment, your social worker will talk to you about a range of treatment and post detox options. These options include, but are not limited to:

  • residential rehabilitation – or rehab for short. You can find out more about this on the rehabonline website.
  • non residential treatment – daily treatment (3-7 days a week) for people who can't commit to residential rehabilitation. It works on the same issues as residential treatment, but you go home at the end of each day.
  • supported housing - abstinent (drug and alcohol free) housing to support you to stay substance free whilst living in the community. Supported housing provides opportunities for residents to develop life skills while in a supportive environment. Residents learn how to maintain a tenancy and cope with the pressures of life without resorting to drugs or alcohol.
  • step-down services – recovery support through activities, groups and training from organisations like The Well in North Lancashire (Lancaster, Morecambe, Wyre, Fylde) and Red Rose Recovery throughout Lancashire.
  • mutual aid support – from groups like Narcotics Anonymous (NA), Alcoholics Anonymous (AA), Smart Recovery and ACT Peer Recovery

Your social worker can also offer you support and advice around universal services such as debt management, tenancy or housing issues or victim support services.

We may need to work together with physical and mental health services, community substance misuse services, criminal justice services (or other services that are applicable to you) to plan your support.

Paying for services

For both residential and non-residential rehabilitation services, we will ask you to have a financial assessment to see if you could pay towards the cost of your support.

Residential rehab

If residential rehab is right for you, you will first need to take part in preparation work including group and one to one meetings. You would also need to undertake a detoxification (detox) if you are not already abstinent.

We work with community substance misuse services Inspire (for adults) and With you (for under 18s) who help people detox with medical support. Detox can help you to cope with withdrawal symptoms.

We will take you through an assessment and support plan. This will help identify treatment providers that can meet your needs and a programme that will reflect your needs, goals and focus.  The length of stay in rehabilitation will vary on an individual basis.

If you move on to rehab, your social worker will work with you to prepare, throughout your rehab stay, and within the community after rehab.

Further information

For more information about the alcohol or drug rehabilitation services, contact the Substance Misuse Team by calling 0300 123 6720.

You can find more information about alcohol and drugs misuse and treatment in the health section of our website.