Financial assessment

If you are eligible to receive our support we will ask you to have a financial assessment to see if you could pay towards the cost of your support.

The financial assessment will look at your income or savings, including income from pensions, some benefits and other assets. The amount you will have to pay will be calculated according to government guidelines and can take into account certain housing costs and disability-related spending.

We also take into account:

  • shares and bonds
  • some additional benefits
  • trust funds
  • For residential care we include the value of any house owned by the person receiving residential care (unless a partner is still living in the house)

We may consider offering a deferred payment. We will lend you the cost of your care so you don't have to sell your house immediately. You, or your estate, will need to repay us when the house is sold  or you no longer require residential care. We do not charge interest.

After the assessment:

  • if you are not eligible for our financial support you will need to fund your own care.
  • If you are eligible you will be told how much the council will pay towards the cost of your support and how much you must pay yourself. Some people might not need to contribute anything. If you are entitled to a financial contribution to services from us, this will be provided by means of a personal budget
  • You do not have to undertake any assessments. If you prefer to make your own care arrangements privately, without any help from us. You can arrange your own care

Moving into residential care or receiving care in your own home has financial implications.

If you think adult social care can help support you, a family member or friend please get in touch. You can telephone us on 0300 123 6720.

You can find out more detailed information in the pages below: