Vehicle crossings (dropped kerb)

We encourage all our residents, wherever possible, to garage or park their vehicles off the road.

If you need to drive over the pavement or verge to park on your property, you will need to have a vehicle crossing.

The footways are built to carry pedestrians who don't weigh as much as a motor vehicle and, without a crossing, you may damage the kerbstones or utility services, such as gas or water mains that may be below the surface of the pavement or verge.

A vehicle crossing involves:

  • lowering of the kerbs at the edge of the road to allow access to your property/driveway.
  • strengthening of the crossing from your property boundary to the edge of the road. 
  • where required, moving or protecting of items such as street light columns, railings and bollards and any pipes or cables belonging to public utilities underneath the crossing.  

All domestic vehicle crossings are managed and constructed by Lancashire County Council. We ensure the use of appropriate materials and workmanship, the safety of any walking surfaces and the protection of pipes and cables under the footway from damage.

We only use contractors included in our approved list. To be listed contractors have to satisfy strict criteria including the competitiveness of their rates.

Who can apply

People who rent a house cannot apply. If you rent, whether privately or through a housing association, you will need written permission from the landlord.

How long the work will take

It will take us six to eight weeks to start, as we need to programme your work into our existing schedules of work around the area. Once we start it should typically take two days – one day to prepare the footway and one day to lay the tarmac. Sites with complications such as stop tap boxes to adjust and street lighting columns to move will take longer and we will discuss these factors with you before you make a financial commitment.

Planning permission

The construction of your vehicle crossing may require planning permission. For example you may require planning permission if your access:

  • is from an A, B or C classified road (consult to see this information); or
  • is connected to works inside the site that will need planning permission, such as paving over a former garden area, building a new house or garage, or changing the use/purpose of the property.

If such circumstances apply, please contact your district council planning section with the address where you require a vehicular crossing and request written confirmation of whether planning permission is required or not. We will require this confirmation as proof before work commences.


If there is a tree outside your house or where you want the crossing, you will need to contact

If there is a street lighting column/furniture near to where you want the crossing, you will need to contact Street lighting columns/furniture are very costly to move and, if moving them is possible, you would be expected to pay the utility company to carry out the work.

Some things you need to consider

If you need to build a driveway, it must be completed before you request the vehicle crossing, this is to avoid any wagons driving over the newly constructed crossing. It is important that the finished level of your drive leaves enough fall from the end of your drive to the kerb. A 1:40 fall would be adequate.

The construction of a vehicle crossing does not give you as the occupier of the premises any particular rights, except to drive across the footway to gain access to your property with a private or light goods motor car. The vehicle crossing itself is part of the public highway. From the date that the council accepts the completed crossing, we will assume responsibility for its maintenance at no cost to the occupier, apart from any damage caused by illegal use for example by a heavy vehicle.

An off road driveway has to be constructed with a minimum of 4.8 metres between the back of the footway and the building to accommodate a vehicle wholly within the drive.  We are unable to consider applications for a vehicle crossing unless the length of the drive is minimally 4.8 metres. 


The cost of the works depends on how many kerbs need to be adjusted and how wide and long the crossing needs to be to protect all the footway.

There will be additional costs if we need to move a street lighting column. We will help you find out the local electricity company's costs for disconnecting and reconnecting the power supply as well as our own costs for moving the column. We will also need more discussions with you over programming and costs if there is a highway tree in the way, or any other unusual feature.

Costs may vary for different addresses in the same road depending on site-specific factor for each address.

You need to provide full payment in advance. If, after completion of the vehicle crossing, you feel that the job has not been done properly please contact us and we will put matters right as quickly as possible.

Get a vehicle crossing quotation


Customer Service Centre
Lancashire County Council

Tel: 0300 123 6780

If you have had recent vehicle crossing works carried out, we would appreciate your feedback: Vehicle crossing works survey