Benefits for people who are State Pension age

4. Housing Benefit

If you (and your partner if you have one) are over State Pension age you may qualify for Housing Benefit if you:

  • rent your accommodation (either form a private landlord, social landlord or local council), you are liable to pay rent and you are living in your property
  • are on a low income
  • do not have savings of more than £16,000 (certain savings can be ignored)

If you are entitled to Guarantee Pension Credit you will automatically qualify for your full eligible Housing Benefit.

You can check whether you qualify for housing benefit by using the independent online calculator entitledto.

Maximum Housing Benefit paid

The maximum amount of your Housing Benefit you may be paid is based on your eligible rent, which is not always the same as the amount of rent you actually pay. It will depend on whether you rent from a social landlord, local council or private landlord and your household's circumstances, including the numbers of bedrooms you have.

How to claim

Housing Benefit entitlement is calculated and paid by your district council. You can find further information on the qualifying criteria and how to claim on the GOV.UK website or you can contact your district council.

Page 4 of 9