Education, health and care (EHC) plans

4. Considering a request for assessment

A group of professionals will consider the request, this will usually include:

  • a headteacher or SENCO
  • local authority officers, including the inclusion manager for the area
  • a specialist teacher
  • an educational psychologist
  • a social worker
  • a health professional

This is called the EHC Needs Assessment Panel.

They will consider the child or young person's special educational needs and the support to meet their needs, including what is already in place.

Within 6 weeks of receiving a request for an EHC needs assessment, the local authority will inform you about the decision. This will either be to go ahead with an assessment or to continue with SEN Support. The reasons for the decision will be shared with you.

Page 4 of 9

Assessment and support