Education, health and care (EHC) plans

3. Keeping you informed and listening to your views

If a request has been made, the local authority must inform you that an EHC needs assessment is being considered.

You will be allocated a named special educational needs and disabilities officer (SENDO) and a caseworker. Both of these workers will be available to guide you through the process, answer your questions and provide support.

Within 6 weeks of receiving your request, there will usually be an opportunity for you and your child to meet with your SENDO. This meeting is called a person-centred planning meeting and will be a chance to consider:

  • hopes, aims and aspirations for the future
  • strengths and needs
  • support already in place
  • what works well and what could be better
  • what else may be needed
  • outcomes/preparing for adulthood

You can also ask for other professionals to attend this meeting if you think this would be helpful. It may not be possible for everyone to attend, but every effort will be made to try and make sure those who need to be there are there.

If this meeting takes place before a decision is made to go ahead with an assessment, it will provide useful information for the assessment.

It is also a chance to talk about the support your child needs from their nursery, school or college, if the decision is made to continue with SEN support.

The local authority will ask your views throughout the assessment process and when developing the EHC plan.

As a parent or carer your views, wishes and feelings and those of your child must be considered.

If you have any concerns about the EHC Plan contact your SENDO or the Designated Clinical Officer for your area.

Page 3 of 9

Assessment and support