What you can do if you think your child has special educational needs

There are different routes for you to take depending on whether your child is pre-school or has started school:

If your child is pre-school:

If you have concerns about your child's development, hearing, vision or language, speak to your family doctor, health visitor, your nursery or pre-school setting leader, or someone at your local Children and Family Wellbeing Service (previously children's centres). They may give advice to enable you to support and help your child or refer you to a specialist for an assessment.

If your child is at school:

Your child's teachers will consult you if they have concerns about his or her progress. If you notice any difficulties with your child's learning you should ask your child's teacher about them first. Schools are able to support and help children who have special educational needs by providing, for example, extra help from their teachers and/or adapting the curriculum so it is more accessible for the child.

All schools have a special educational needs coordinator (SENCo) who may meet you if your child has special educational needs (SEN).

Other sources of advice and support

Additional advice and support is available from the Information, Advice and Support Team.