Financial help for children and young people with special educational needs or disabilities and their families.


The Welfare Rights Service guide benefits advice for carers provides information about Carer's Allowance, Carer's Credit and Council Tax discounts, exemptions or reductions.

Disability Living Allowance (DLA) and Personal Independence Payment (PIP)

Disability Living Allowance (DLA) (external link) helps with some of the extra costs caused by long-term ill-health or a disability if you're aged 16 to 64.

DLA for children under 16 (external link) may help with the extra costs of looking after a child who has difficulties walking or needs more looking after than a child of the same age who doesn’t have a disability.

Personal Independence Payment (PIP) (external link) is replacing Disability Living Allowance (DLA) for people aged 16 to 64. If you already get DLA, see the information about DLA for adults (external link) to find out more.

Only children under 16 can make a new claim for DLA - anyone over 16 must apply for Personal Independence Payment (PIP) (external link) instead.

Information for carers

Getting the Daily Living component of DLA or PIP will allow a carer to access other help and services. To find out how PIP affects new and existing claims for Carer’s Allowance and Carer’s Credit see what Personal Independence Payment means for carers (external link).

Further information

If you get PIP or DLA you might be entitled to other benefits, help and discounts. Parents may be entitled to the disabled child element of Child Tax Credit (external link). The GOV.UK website has more details of financial help if you're disabled (external link).

The preparing for adulthood section has more information about the financial support available as you look for employment or continue in education.


All 3 and 4 year olds, and some 2 year olds can get funded childcare

Personal budgets

Personal budgets can be used to to buy in specialist provision set out in an education, health and care (EHC) plan.

Other services

Other services that can help are:

  • Birkdale Trust for Hearing Impaired Ltd The charity makes grants to young people up to their mid-twenties. This funding provides support in a variety of ways and to organisations linked to deaf young people.
  • Carers UK a charity set up to help people who care for family and friends in the UK. They can help get the best for the person you care for, make the most of your income, help you to stay in paid work, help you to stay healthy, put you in touch with other carers and provide a listening ear.
  • Caudwell Children family support services, equipment, treatment and therapies for disabled children and their families.
  • Cerebra a charity set up to help improve the lives of children with brain related conditions.
  • Contact a national charity that supports the families of disabled children whatever their condition or disability.
  • Disability Grants help finding disability grants including grants for holidays, equipment, housing, families and carers.
  • Guide Dogs - Technology advice service, including grants these grants help cover the cost of sensory equipment and assistive technology (also called access or adaptive technology), which can empower children, helping them become independent learners through apps and games. They can also offer advice on technology and software that can help children and young people access information and online resources on their own.
  • Newlife offers grants for essential medical equipment for children with disabilities and terminal illness.
  • Shepherd Street Trusta Preston based charity that cares for the needs and aspirations of children and young people.
  • The Family Fund provides grants to low-income families raising disabled and seriously ill children and young people.