In year admissions

Before you apply to change schools, you will need to speak to the current school and the school you intend to move to.

How to apply

The different types of schools and academies have different admission arrangements.

Follow the relevant link below for a list of schools of each type and how to apply:

You should not use this process if you are applying for

  • a school which is in another local authority area, such as Blackpool or Blackburn with Darwen Borough Council - please contact them directly
  • a child who has an education, health and care (EHC) plan - please contact the Inclusion Service for guidance
  • a Looked After Child - please apply directly through the local area education office

After you apply

Your application will be processed by the local area education office inline with the Admissions Code and fair access policy.

We'll acknowledge receipt of your application and then write to you with the outcome within a maximum of 15 school days (this does not include weekends or school holidays).

There is no need to contact us before the 15 days have passed.

The Pupil Access Team privacy notice tells you how we process personal data.

Receiving a school offer

If the school you request has places, your child will be offered a place at the school and you will receive your offer letter via email. You must contact the school within 5 school days of the offer date to arrange school admission. The expectation is that the child will be admitted to the school within 15 school days after the school offer notification.

If the school you request doesn’t have any places, you will be notified via email to contact the area office to be advised of local availability. You also have the right to appeal against the refusal of a place in current Reception class to current Year 11.

Children already attending a local school

Where a child is already on roll at a local school, they must continue to attend until the date of admission to the new school.


If you are unhappy with your school offer you can appeal for any schools which at that time have no available places. Information and advice is available from the admissions team at your local area education office.

We advise you to visit the school you are offered before you go to appeal.

What to consider

Choosing your school preferences

When applying for admission to Lancashire schools you have the right to express more than one preference.

You should list your school preferences in priority order when you apply.

Research schools in your area (you can gain information from the school website and Ofsted reports).

If you need information to help with your application you can contact your local area education office for advice.

Available places

To find out whether a school has a place available, you can either contact your local area education office for community or voluntary controlled schools, or contact the school directly for schools co-ordinating their own admissions.

Application address

A child's permanent address is one where they normally, live, sleep and go to school from. Proof of residence may be requested at any time throughout the admissions process. Addresses of relatives or friends must not be used and neither should addresses of any other properties owned by applicants. For further information please see the residency for school admissions page.


Your child needs to be able to travel to school easily, safely and on-time.

For help with travel costs, the nearest school is measured by walking distance. If travel cost is an important factor in your school preference or you are in any doubt over the distance between your home and a school please check with the area education office.

GCSE years

Older children, who transfer school after exam subjects have been chosen in Year 9, may find that:

  • they cannot do the same subjects in a new school
  • the exam boards and courses are different
  • some schools start GCSE curriculum courses in Year 9

If your child is unhappy in their current school

If your child is unhappy in their current school for whatever reason, for example alleged bullying or not getting on with a teacher, you should first contact the headteacher and discuss the problems before changing schools.

It is important that you consider whether a move is really the best option. School transfer is very disruptive for any child and it is not encouraged if the problem can be resolved by the school.

If this matter cannot be resolved, the standard in year admissions procedure will apply.

What to think about if you are considering a change of school

Moving to a new school is an important step for all children.

If you have moved house it may be essential to move your child, however, if a school move is not absolutely essential you should carefully consider the implications for your child.

Some of the things which you must think about if you are considering a change of school for your child are:


This is especially important for secondary aged children, and particularly for those in years 9, 10 or 11. A new school may not necessarily be able to exactly match your child’s existing curriculum commitments.


On average statistics show that school moves lower examination results.


It can be helpful for a child who is presenting challenging behaviour to move to a new school. However, this is normally only where the behaviour is linked to the existing school. If strategies to help a child have already been put in place these can be disrupted by a school move. This can lead to further difficulties.

It is usually better for the child if the family work with the existing school to help to address and resolve any difficulties.

If your child does move schools to address challenging behaviour, they may stay on the roll of their old school for an interim period. If the change of schools is not successful they would go back to their old school.

Peer group / friends

If there are difficulties consider if these would be resolved by a school move?

There could be similar issues, even in a new school. It is often better to work with the existing school to address matters. Moving a child away from an established peer group may adversely affect achievement.


A change of schools during the school year can disrupt a child’s education if they are already in the middle of a specific piece of coursework.


Schools set their own uniform requirements and the council does not generally provide help with the cost of school uniforms. We only offer assistance in very exceptional circumstances.


Schools set their own start and finish times. You need to consider the implication of these on your child and in relation to your personal day to day schedule.