Lancashire County Council Logo
My location

Your location enables us to provide information about services in your area.

Help with school clothing costs

We will only consider offering assistance with school clothing in very exceptional circumstances.

We will generally only consider applications for assistance where the applicant is eligible for free school meals and one of the following grounds is also satisfied:

  • Where a pupil is the victim of severe family dislocation, especially where there is a need for the pupil to be moved and have to change school.
  • Where a pupil’s household has been affected by fire or flood and their school clothing is damaged or lost.
  • Where a pupil is the subject of a statement of special educational needs or education, health and care plan and where the terms require a change of school during the academic year.
  • Where a pupil’s medical condition warrants additional support.

We will also consider applications for assistance where there are other exceptional circumstances.

A low income in itself would not generally be considered as an exceptional circumstance.

If you feel you may qualify for assistance please contact your local area education office.

Applications should be made in writing, stating why you feel an award should be made, what pieces of essential uniform you need and the cost of these items.

If your application is refused you can ask for your case to be reviewed by the county welfare benefits policy officer.

If your request is refused by the county welfare benefits policy officer then you may submit a written appeal to the Student Support Appeal Committee.