Leaving home

If you are thinking of, or having to leave home there are lots of things to think about. 

Talking the situation through with a trusted adult like a teacher, student mentor or support worker can be helpful.

When are you are 16 you can leave home with your parents' consent.  There are various different housing options available to you depending on your age and income. If you are going to be homeless tonight, or you think you might be homeless soon, seek advice straight away from the below organisations.

Your rights

If you are 16 or 17 years old and you are homeless, children's social care must make an assessment of your needs. It does not matter if you go to children's social care or district housing services, if you go to housing, they should refer you to children's social care to be assessed so they can see what help you need. Find out what to do and what will happen when you are assessed.

For more information on your rights as a homeless 16/17 year old see the Coram Voice website.


If you are 16 or 17 years old and you are homeless contact Lancashire Children's Social Care on 0300 123 6720 (or out of hours call 0300 123 6722).

If you would like help, get in touch with us for confidential information, advice and support.

Services in East Lancashire - help if you are aged between 14-25 years old and live in Hyndburn, Ribble Valley, Pendle, Rossendale, Blackburn or Burnley.

Shelter - to get housing advice and find a local advice centre.

More information and advice

Childline - for advice and support if you have run away from home

National Government - for information on what benefits you are entitled to

National Government - to find your local council


In this section