Household waste recycling centres

To help to keep us all safe do not visit a recycling centre if you are self-isolating or showing any symptoms of covid-19. 

Permit schemes

All of our permit schemes are currently suspended. This includes:

  • Inert waste permits
  • Recyclable waste permits
  • General waste permits
  • Charity permits 
  • Pedestrian permits

Inert waste 

You will not be required to have a permit for inert waste (including plaster and plasterboard), but if delivering inert waste in a van or using a trailer you will need to make an appointment.

Vans, hire vans and trailers

Vans, hire vans OR trailers (including single axle trailers) must have an appointment. 

An appointment is for a van OR a trailer - NOT both. A van can be used to tow a trailer, but waste will not be accepted from both. Your trailer must display the same number plate as the vehicle you’re towing it with. 

Only cars will be allowed access to the recycling centres without an appointment.  Please be kind to our staff, abusive or threatening behaviour will not be tolerated.

Book appointment for a van or trailer

Further information

We have provided further information below. If you have questions in relation to doorstep collections, please visit your district/borough council website. 

Our recycling centres are open as follows:

  • Altham - 7 days a week - 9am-5pm
  • Barnoldswick - Thursday to Monday - 9am-5pm
  • Burnley - 7 days a week - 9am-5pm
  • Burscough - Thursday to Monday - 9am-5pm
  • Carnforth - Thursday to Monday 9-5pm
  • Chorley - 7 days a week - 9am-5pm
  • Clitheroe - Friday to Tuesday - 9am-5pm
  • Farington - 7 days a week - 9am-5pm
  • Fleetwood - 7 days a week - 9am-5pm
  • Haslingden - Thursday to Monday 9-5pm
  • Lancaster - 7 days a week - 9am-5pm
  • Longridge - Wednesday to Sunday 9-5pm
  • Lytham - 7 days a week - 9am-5pm
  • Preston - 7 days a week - 9am -5pm
  • Skelmersdale - 7 days a week - 9am–5pm
  • Garstang – Thursday to Monday, 9am - 5pm. The reuse shop at Garstang recycling centre is currently closed.

The Garstang CRRC is open 5 days a week, 9am - 5pm. All of the instructions for use of our other recycling centres will apply at Garstang. This includes the need for those visiting in vans or with a trailer to make an appointment.

Please be aware that Garstang CRRC does not accept general (non-recyclable) rubbish. View the types of waste that is accepted at Garstang.

The re-use shop at Garstang will remain closed until further notice and items donated for re-use will not currently be accepted.

Vans, and vehicles towing a trailer, must make an appointment to visit our recycling centres. You do not need a permit.

All trailers must have the same registration plate as the vehicle towing it.

Hire vans

All vans visiting a household waste recycling centre must book an appointment and provide the vehicle registration number of the vehicle to be used.

If you intend to visit using a hire van, please speak to your hire company to obtain the vehicle registration number of the vehicle before booking an appointment.

If you are unable to obtain a vehicle registration number from your hire company, or have difficulty in making an appointment for a hire vehicle for any other reason, please email or call 0300 123 6781.

Standard domestic pickups can use a recycling centre without an appointment. A standard domestic pickup is one which is used primarily for personal use and has not been modified to have a greater carrying capacity. Any other pickup should make an appointment.

Traditional camper vans, with windows around the vehicle, can also use a recycling centre without appointment. However, larger vehicles such as motor homes must make an appointment to visit.

You can visit a recycling centre on a motorbike or scooter (not mobility scooters) as long as your waste can be transported safely.

We are not accepting pedestrians on our recycling centres at this time.

When delivering inert waste (including plaster and plasterboard) to our recycling centres you will no longer be required to have a permit. But if delivering inert waste in a van or using a trailer you will need to make an appointment.

We will also accept correctly wrapped asbestos up to a limit of 6 x sheets/bags per visit and 18 x sheets/bags per year. See our disposal of asbestos page for further guidance and details of sites accepting asbestos.

Please be kind to our recycling centre staff. Lancashire County Council operates a zero tolerance policy for aggressive, abusive or threatening behaviour. Action will be taken against anyone who is abusive or aggressive which may include permanent exclusion from all of our recycling centres. 

Please do not leave any waste outside the recycling centres, outside closed charity shops or elsewhere – leaving waste outside recycling centres, or anywhere else, is  fly-tipping and is a criminal offence for which you may be prosecuted.

Fly-tipping is punishable by a fine of up to £50,000 or 12 months imprisonment if convicted in a Magistrates' Court. The offence can attract an unlimited fine and up to 5 years imprisonment if convicted in a Crown Court.


If you are self-isolating or feeling ill, put any potentially infected items like used tissues or cleaning cloths into separate plastic bags and double-bag them. These bags should then be put aside for at least 72 hours (3 days) before you put them out into your kerbside waste bin.

Don't put masks, gloves or other personal protective equipment (PPE) in the recycling. They cannot be recycled. Throw them in the bin instead.

Continue to wash your hands regularly, maintaining good hygiene when handling your rubbish and recycling and keep your distance when the workers are doing their collections

Remember to wash your hands and clean the handles of your bins and boxes before and after you put them out for collection.

The crew will have touched all of the bins on your street and won't be able to change their gloves between each bin or box. So keep yourself, and them, safe by following this simple guidance.