Carer's assessments

Many carers find it easier to continue in their caring role if they can get some help.

Lancashire County Council provides help and support for people who need care, and their carers. The way we make a decision about the help and support that can be provided is by carrying out an assessment.

Parent carers

If you care for a disabled child under 18, you can request a parent carers needs assessment. These are also known as Children Act assessments. If your child is also being assessed for an education, health and care (EHC) plan then both should be done at the same time. The assessment will normally be carried out by a social worker at a visit to the home of your child.

Adult social care assessments

If you are an unpaid carer of someone over 18 you can request your own carer's assessment or it may be that the best way to meet your needs as a carer is to provide care and support directly to the person you care for. For example, by providing replacement care to allow you to take a break. To do this the person needing care will need to agree to an assessment from adult social care.

Young carers

If you are under 18 and have caring responsibilities, you are a young carer. If the person you care for has an assessment, you should be involved to see if you need support too or you can have your own assessment. If you would like to find out more contact the social care team on 0300 123 6720. You can also get help from your local Barnados team.

Request an assessment

To request an assessment, contact the social care team on 0300 123 6720.

Alternatively, you could ask your GP, health visitor or a voluntary organisation to contact them on your behalf.