Request a change to a right of way's legal record

The Definitive Map & Statement is a legal record of the public’s rights of way. If a footpath or a bridleway or a byway is shown on the map then that is conclusive evidence of public rights along it (unless there has been a legally authorised change). However, the map may not show all the public’s rights along a way, or there may be rights which are incorrectly recorded.

The Definitive Map & Statement can be changed if evidence of missing rights of way is discovered, or if there are errors in previously recorded information. Anyone can ask the Lancashire County Council to consider changing the map. There is a specific procedure to follow which is summarised below. Advice is available from the Public Rights of Way team to help you with your application.

The first step is to check your facts. What does the Definitive Map & Statement show in the area you are interested in? This information can be obtained from the Public Rights of Way team. If you then think that the map is wrong in any way you can contact the Public Rights of Way team and a member of staff will discuss what your options are. One of these may be to ask the county council to change the map by means of a Definitive Map Modification Order - a DMMO.

If you wish to ask for a DMMO to be made, the county council has produced an application form for you to fill in. Before you send the form back, you will need to gather evidence in support of your case. Depending on what your application relates to, you may need to look at old maps and plans in local libraries or the record office, to collect evidence of use of the path over a long period of time or to talk to local residents and landowners. 


Tel: 01772 530317



Application form