Residents' parking permit terms and conditions

In each scheme, a street or a series of streets are called a parking zone. Within the zone a permit holder can park in the signed parking bays/streets for as long as required as long as a valid permit for the area is clearly displayed so that all the details are visible from the outside of the vehicle for the whole period that the vehicle is parked.  Holders of permits issued for one zone cannot use that permit to park in another zone (please check the zone reference on the permit with the signs on the street).  The permit cannot be used to park in limited waiting bays for longer than the specified time, nor can it be used on housing/private land.

Permits are only valid on passenger vehicles, goods vehicles not exceeding 3.5 tonnes gross vehicle weight or 1525 kilograms unladen weight or an invalid carriage.

Permits will be valid for a 12 month period from the date of issue.

The permit does not guarantee that a parking space will be available, nor does it guarantee that a resident will be able to park directly outside his/her house i.e. it does not reserve a specific space.

One free permit will be issued to blue badge holders who are resident within a scheme on receipt of a permit application and copy of the blue badge. This can be either a resident or visitor permit.

It is the driver's responsibility when parking to ensure that the vehicle is parked wholly within a parking place and the permit remains clearly visible for the duration of time the vehicle is parked

Any attempt to alter any of the details will render the permit invalid and may result in a penalty charge notice being issued.

Please note:- renewal reminders will not be sent.

For information regarding renewals please either email or telephone 0300 123 6713

Change of vehicle

Should you change your vehicle or change an address that is also in a permit zone, then a new application will be required. The full permit charge will apply but the new permit will be valid for a further 12 months from date of issue.

Lost, damaged or stolen permits

Damaged, defaced, lost, stolen or destroyed permits will require an application for a new permit. The full permit charge will apply but the new permit will be valid for a further 12 months from date of issue.

Whilst waiting for a new or replacement permit you will not be eligible to park within the permit zone, therefore alternative parking should be sought.

No refund will be provided for surrendered or part used permits

If your permit requires replacing for any reason please note that a new application will be required and the full charge will be applicable.

A permit holder shall surrender a permit on the occurrence of any of the following and in such case the council may by notice in writing served on a permit holder withdraw a permit:

The permit holder ceasing to be a resident or occupier

The permit holder ceasing to satisfy the criteria on which his/her application was approved

The expiry of the period for which the permit was issued

The permit is for the use of the named resident and/or his/her visitors, selling or renting of this permit is not permitted and may result in the permit being withdrawn (cancelled) and the resident being ineligible to hold a permit.

Failure to abide by the rules may result in the permit being withdrawn (cancelled) and/or a penalty.

Continued use of a permit once cancelled will leave you liable to receive a penalty charge notice.

Lancashire County Council is under a duty to protect the public funds it administers, and to this end may use the information you have provided on any permit application for the prevention and detection of fraud. It may also share this information with other bodies responsible for auditing or administering public funds for these purposes. Further information about the National Fraud Initiative.

Before you start

You will need scanned or photographed documents showing proof of residency and ownership of vehicle. Documents accepted:

Residents Permits- Council Tax Bill or Tenancy Agreement, Utility Bill and V5 or Vehicle Lease Agreement.  (Please note proof of vehicle ownership not required for Chorley)

Visitors Permits - Council Tax Bill or Tenancy Agreement and Utility Bill

Business Permits- Council Tax Bill or Tenancy Agreement

Council Tax should be for the current year, and Utility Bill should be dated within the last 3 months.

Without the above documents you will not be able to proceed with the application.

How to apply for a permit

Apply for your permit online

Alternatively please complete and return the application form (DOCX / PDF) and enclose copies of the following documents (do not send originals):

Council Tax Bill (most recent copy)

Utility bill (no more than three months old)

V5 – Vehicle registration document (or copy hire agreement / business insurance)

Send the documents to:

Lancashire Parking Services
Permits Section
PO Box 1023

Residents' parking permit