Progression in Mathematics in Nursery
Suitable for: Teachers
|Course code||Keystages||Presented by|
• To identify the key learning in mathematics across the nursery age phase and effective progression using the new learning and progression steps document. To identify the key learning in mathematics across the nursery age phase and effective progression using the new learning and progression steps document.
• To support practitioners in developing both adult led and child initiated activities through effective dialogue, questioning and modelling.
• To reflect on how to use the environment to support effective teaching and learning in mathematics, including how to enhance continuous provision.
• To provide support for a curriculum that effectively develops children's understanding of early number, shape and measures.
• To demonstrate how practitioners can use exciting practical activities to develop children’s mathematics based on their needs and interests
With the new Early Years Foundation Stage Framework from September 2021, there are significant changes to the Early Learning Goals and non-statutory Development Matters. This course will explore these and all aspects of mathematics within a nursery class or setting, including enabling and encouraging children to utilise the mathematics they know to solve practical problems.
It will focus on how to effectively scaffold children’s mathematical development, plan effective sequences of learning and the acquisition of mathematical language, through the provision of effective learning opportunities and activities.