If you are finding it hard to manage in your current home you may want to consider altering it to suit your needs or looking at suitable equipment or our assistive technologies to support you in your own home. You may also want to consider getting some extra care at home. However there might come a time when you need to move if your home or property is no longer right for you.

Although local authorities in the main no longer have any housing stock, they will have details of several housing associations in your area that provide low cost rental accommodation to people in housing need.

If you feel you need more support from your accommodation you have the following choices:

Extra care housing

Extra care housing are self-contained homes designed with support services available to help you to look after yourself and live independently. Extra care housing is popular with people whose disabilities, frailty or health needs make ordinary housing unsuitable, but who do not need or want to move to long term residential care or nursing homes.

Sheltered housing

Sheltered housing is mainly for older people and usually consists of small bungalows or flats supervised by a scheme Manager, who can give you some help and support in an emergency.

To find out more about sheltered housing near you, contact your local council's housing department.

Age UK also offers more information about sheltered housing.

Supported living

Supported living supports disabled people and adults with learning disabilities to live more independently and take control of their lives. The service is provided to those who wish to move into their own homes, and to those who already live in their own homes or individual or shared tenancy.

The supported living service provides people with support to manage day to day living tasks. Support workers provide assistance with personal care, meals, shopping and budgeting, and access to learning, leisure and employment opportunities. Different levels of support are provided depending on each individual's needs, from just an hour a day, to 24 hours a day, to seven days per week support.

Contact your Local authority housing officer to discuss your housing needs and help finding and accessing relevant housing schemes in your area that may interest you.

Housing support

If you are in danger of, or have lost your home

In the first instance you need to contact your local housing department at your district council who depending on your situation will advise you on your different housing options.

If you are struggling to keep your home, there are support services who will work with you and your housing provider to support you, if possible to keep your home. They can also advise you on benefits, your rights and responsibilities and/or help you find alternative accommodation. Contact your local housing department at your district council who will refer you to this type of support.

HousingĀ support can help you:

  • set up and maintain your home
  • developing domestic/social and life skills
  • to learn to budget properly for rent, bills and claim the right benefits
  • access a GP or dentist
  • Build and maintain family and friends relationships
  • be a part of the community
  • gain awareness of personal safety and security issues
  • get a job, training or education course

Anyone who has a housing support need can access the service.

Housing support does not include health and social care services, like getting washed and dressed, giving medication and meals on wheels.

More information

Further information