Help finding a job if you're disabled

There is extra support available to help you get into work if you're disabled, have a long-term condition or mental health problems.

You can ask for help at your local Jobcentre. The advisers there may refer you to our Employment Support Service who will support you on a work programme.


There are government supported employment programmes designed for people who due to their disability may find it difficult to find or keep a job:

  • Specialist Employability Support – This programme supports individuals with more complex barriers to work which mean you are not eligible for other programmes.


An Access to Work grant can pay for practical support if you have a disability, health or mental health condition to help you:

  • start working
  • stay in work
  • move into self-employment or start a business

If you get support from our employment support service your employment officer will be happy to help you complete your application.

Visual impairment

If you are eligible, your work coach at your local Job Centre may refer you to Specialist Employability Support (SES) at RNC (The Royal National College for the Blind).

A team of experts in visual impairment and employment will work with you every step of the way to help you find a permanent job. For more information, please see the RNC website.