After a flood
If you are unfortunate enough to be affected by a flood, there are a number of things to be aware of when clearing up.
What you should do
- Ring your insurance company – to register your claim.
- Take photos or video evidence - make a list of everything that has been damaged.
- Wear protective clothing – Take care - flood water could be contaminated so always wear protective clothing, boots and rubber gloves when cleaning up and watch out for hidden or sharp objects.
- Find out how to dispose of flood damaged items safely – contact your District Council or the Waste Helpline on 0300 123 6781 for advice regarding the disposal of flood damaged household waste after you have spoken to your insurance company.
- Get a qualified electrician to check your house – before you turn your electricity back on. Find a trader you can trust using our Safe Trader scheme.
- Only pump out water when flood levels outside your property are lower than inside - to reduce the risk of structural damage.
You can find more advice about what to do before, during and after a flood on the National Flood Forum website.
Download the Flood Recovery Guide for more detailed advice and guidance to help victims of flooding through the initial stages of recovery.
Our role after a flood
After a flood we will work with our partners and voluntary agencies to help with the clean-up and recovery process by:
- Supporting communities and businesses by providing emotional and practical support and advice about grants or funding to help with the recovery process.
- Inspecting damage to roads and bridges and re-opening closed roads when it is safe to do so. If repairs are needed we will schedule the work as soon as possible.
- Repairing potholes after the floods - you may notice more potholes following severe weather but please bear with us.
Beware of rogue traders
If your property has been damaged, don’t be tempted to let someone who appears at your door unannounced carry out the work. Always use reputable building contractors and do not pay in advance. Find a trader you can trust using our Safe Trader scheme.