Information sharing and retention periods
To ensure that the council provides you with an efficient and effective service we will sometimes need to share your information between teams within the council as well as with our partner organisations that support the delivery of the service you may receive, for example:
- District Councils
- Fire Service
- Voluntary organisations
- Government departments and agencies
- Regulatory bodies
We will also need to supply your information to organisations we have contracted to provide a service to you.
We will only ever share your information if we are satisfied that our partners or suppliers have sufficient measures in place to protect your information in the same way that we do.
We will never share your information for marketing purposes.
Before sharing information the council will ensure that:
- Privacy Notices are completed if appropriate.
- Technical security such as encryption and access controls are in place to keep information secure.
- Information Sharing Agreements are completed showing the rules to be adopted by the various organisations involved in the sharing exercise.
- Data Protection Impact Assessments are completed to assess any risks or potential negative effects.
- Common retention periods and deletion arrangements are set for the information.
- Subject access rights are catered for.
Details of transfers to other countries and additional safeguards
We will always process as little personal data as is necessary to meet the purpose of the processing activity. We will inform you where your personal and sensitive data will be stored and of the additional safeguards that we have taken to ensure compliance with UK GDPR and data protection legislation which applies within the country where your personal and sensitive information is held, should this be outside of the UK.
We will only keep your information for as long as it is required to be retained. The retention period is either dictated by law or by our discretion. Once your information is no longer needed it will be securely and confidentially destroyed. Service and project specific retention periods can be found in our service and project specific privacy notices.