If you have a disability and want to leave home, there are options that could provide you with extra support if you need it.

If you need help to live on your own, you have various options including employing a personal assistant, buying your care from an agency or, if you're eligible, you can get support from the Adult Disability Service.

More information and advice

Health and social care - Housing options if you need support.
NHS choices – a guide to care homes
Shared Lives - If you are over 18 and have learning or physical disabilities and need support but do not need or want to live in a care home or supported tenancy.
National government – financial help if you are disabled. They also provide information on shared ownership schemes.
Your local council - Find the contact details and website for your local council. Your local council has housing related information including:

  • finding a home
  • housing associations
  • housing grants
  • home maintenance
  • Disabled Facilities Grants - to help if you’re disabled and need to make changes to your home.

Shelter - information about renting a home