Educational psychologists

Educational psychologists use psychology to help children and young people to do well in their learning and development and achieve the best possible outcomes. They do this by supporting the development of skills needed for:

  • learning
  • social well-being
  • positive mental health

Our team of educational psychologists work mainly with children and young people aged 0-25 who have special educational needs or disabilities (SEND). Each educational psychologist within the Inclusion Service is linked to a group of schools. The service also provides Critical Incident Psychological First Aid  (CIPFA) to respond to traumatic events affecting children and young people and staff.

Most children and young people with SEND will have their needs met through resources already available to their school. However, sometimes an educational psychologist may be asked to help.

Most of the time our educational psychologists use an approach known as consultation. This means they talk about any concerns with:

  • the child or young person
  • their parents /carers
  • and others involved in their care and education

to try and find solutions to the problems that have been identified. Sometimes the educational psychologist will work directly with a child or young person as part of a package of support or to carry out some assessment.

Educational psychologists may also work alongside other professionals who are involved in supporting the child or young person. These might include other people from other teams within the Inclusion Service or health professionals, such as speech and language therapists.

It is expected that any intervention or support that is offered as a result of these consultations will be reviewed so that any changes that are needed can be identified and put in place.

Accessing the service

If you think your child might need support from an educational psychologist, talk to the:

  • key worker (in nursery)
  • class teacher (in primary school)
  • form tutor or head of year (in secondary school)

They will discuss your concerns with you and may also talk to the special educational needs coordinator (SENCO). You can also ask to speak to the SENCO. The SENCO may request educational psychology involvement.

If your child is pre-school, the  request will be considered at an early years educational psychologist moderation group, which is a meeting of educational psychologists.

If you are a young person and you think you need extra help you should speak to a teacher or the SENCO so support can be arranged through the school if you need it.

We also support young people with special educational needs and disabilities up to the age of 25 who are in education or training who live in Lancashire but who do not attend a Lancashire school. Please contact your local area office for more information.

No work will be carried out by an educational psychologist without parental consent and the agreement of the child or young person.

Group and individual consultation meetings

SENCOs can meet with educational psychologists for advice at group and individual consultations.

Group consultation meetings take place in the first half of each term and individual consultation meetings take place in the second half of each term.

The SENCO will ask for your consent before they talk about your child with an educational psychologist.

If the SENCO is going to talk about your child at an individual consultation meeting, you will be encouraged to attend so you can all develop a plan together.

Annual reviews

If a child has an education, health and care (EHC) plan and their needs have changed significantly then an educational psychologist may attend the annual review to discuss this.


Parent / carer helpline

If you are a parent or carer and would like to speak to an educational psychologist call the helpline:

  • Tel: 01772 530 444
    Thursday 12.30pm-4.30pm (during term time)

Schools and early years

Please see the information for professionals.

Area offices

If you would like more information about the educational psychology service, please contact your area office.

Lancaster, Morecambe, Fylde and Wyre

Tel: 01524 581 200

Preston, South Ribble, Chorley and West Lancashire

Tel: 01772 531 597

Hyndburn, Ribble Valley, Burnley, Pendle and Rossendale

Tel: 01282 470 604