School and college transport information

It is your responsibility to ensure your child gets to school.

When applying for school places, don't forget to plan how you will get your child to school.

Transport we provide

Some children are eligible for free transport to school depending on whether they are attending their closest school with places available and how far the walk is. There is also support for families on low incomes.

If your child has an education, health and care (EHC) plan please go to the special educational needs and disabilities (SEND) page to apply for SEND transport assistance.

If your child is not entitled to free transport they may still be able to travel on contracted school buses provided by the county council, if there is space available. You can pay a daily fare to the driver or if you want to save money you can buy a season ticket.

If space isn't available you need to plan how your child will get to school.

Public transport

Your child might need to travel on public transport. To plan the route and find out about services please see the Traveline website or call Traveline on 0871 200 22 33 (open 7 days a week 8am to 8pm. Calls cost 12p per minute plus your phone company's access charge).

College transport

Further education colleges may also be able to provide additional support to their students. This will depend on the policy of the individual college and your circumstances. Please contact your local college's student services or finance department for further details.

The Post 16 transport to education and training policy statement describes the transport support available in Lancashire.