Primary school appeals
If you wish to appeal, please read the guidance notes below and use the relevant form.
If you are not sure which form to use or have any other questions, please contact your local area education office.
Community and voluntary controlled schools
- Appeal form - community and voluntary controlled schools (Rich text format, 306 KB)
Please return your completed appeal form to your local area education office by Friday 15 May 2020.
Voluntary aided, foundation schools, free schools and academies
- Appeal form - voluntary aided, foundation schools, free schools and academies (Rich text format, 321 KB)
Please return direct to the school for which you are appealing. These schools may have their own closing date for appeal forms, please contact the school directly for this deadline.
Schools that have their own appeal form
If you are appealing for the Maharishi Free School please contact the school direct as they have their own appeal form.
Infant class size appeals
When a place in an infant class (reception, year one or year two) has been refused on the grounds that the class would have more than 30 pupils, the process is different. You should note that the Independent Appeal Panels cannot allow such appeals unless they are satisfied that:
- Your child would have been offered a place if the admission arrangements had been applied properly
- Your child would have been offered a place if the admission arrangements had complied with the mandatory provisions in the School Admissions Code and the School Standards and Framework Act 1998
- The decision to refuse your child a place was not one which a reasonable admission authority would have made in the circumstances of the case.
This means that your personal circumstances are not as strong a focus for appeals where class size issues are relevant. You should be aware that nationally few infant class size appeals are successful.
If you are not sure which guidance applies to you, please contact your local area education office.
Community and voluntary controlled schools:
- Infant class size appeal notes - South (PDF, 39KB)
- Infant class size appeal notes - East (PDF, 173KB)
- Infant class size appeal notes - North (PDF, 39KB)
- Prejudice appeal notes - South (PDF, 339KB)
- Prejudice appeal notes - East (PDF, 41KB)
- Prejudice appeal notes - North (PDF, 41KB)