30 hours funded childcare
2. Eligibility criteria
Parents of three and four year olds will need to meet the following criteria in order to be eligible for 30 hours funded childcare:
- They earn or expect to earn the equivalent to 16 hours at National Minimum or Living Wage over the coming three months (you can see current National Living Wage and National Minimum Wage rates on GOV.UK)
- This applies whether you are in paid employment, self-employed or on zero hour’s contract.
- The parent (and their partner where applicable) should be seeking the funded childcare to enable them to work.
- Where one or both parents are on maternity, paternity, shared parental or adoption leave, or if they are on statutory sick leave.
- Where one parent meets the income criteria and the other is unable to work because they are disabled, have caring responsibilities or have been assessed as having limited capability to work.
- Where a parent is in a ‘start-up period’ (i.e. they are newly self-employed) they do not need to demonstrate that they meet the income criteria for 12 months.
There are different criteria for foster carers. Find out if you are eligible and how to apply as a foster carer.