Giving notice of marriage or civil partnership

By law, you must give 28 days' notice of a marriage or civil partnership. This must be at a registration office in the district in which you live.

Before you start

We have recently changed our policy on giving notice of your intention to marry or form a civil partnership. You can only currently give notice three months prior to the date that your marriage or civil partnership ceremony is due to take place.

The notice is valid for 12 months.

When you book an appointment you must pay the non-refundable booking fee of £35 per person.

Please check you both meet the following requirements:

  • you are both 18 years of age or older
  • you or your partner has lived in Lancashire for at least the past 9 days. Not including Blackburn with Darwen and Blackpool.
  • you are not related to each other by blood, marriage, civil partnership, adoption or surrogacy
  • you have booked your ceremony
  • the ceremony is taking place within England or Wales
  • you or your partner do not need an interpreter.

If you do not meet any of these requirements please call the registration service on 0300 123 6705.

Book a notice appointment >

Additional information

The notice appointment is a formal interview. We ask you questions, not only about yourself but also about your partner.

You will need to check this information and confirm the information is true and correct.

What happens next?

You will receive a booking confirmation email that includes your booking ID number. Please keep it as you will need this if you want to rearrange your appointment.

We will ask to see the email or ID number when you arrive at your appointment. If you can't print the email you can show it on your phone.

What to bring to the appointment

You will need to bring proof of the details you have provided with your booking including:

  • your name
  • age
  • nationality
  • immigration status
  • address
  • marital status

If you were born after 1 January 1983 you will also have to provide evidence relating to the nationality of your parents (or grandparents if parents were born on or after 1 January 1983) in addition to the above

Please ensure you have the correct documentation before coming to your appointment. See the full list of documents required when giving notice.

If any documentation is missing we will not be able to proceed with the appointment.

You will also lose your booking fee under the refunds and rescheduling policy.

Rearrange or cancelling your appointment

You must give more than 24 hours' notice if you wish to rearrange or cancel your appointment.

If you give less than 24 hours' notice you will have to make a new appointment and pay the booking fee again.

You can cancel completely but your booking fee will not get refunded.

Use the link provided in your notice appointment confirmation email to reschedule.

You can also reschedule by phone or by personal attendance at one of our offices.

Failure to attend your appointment

Please aim to arrive at least 10-15 minutes ahead of your appointment time.

The registrar will try to accommodate late arrivals depending on availability.

If there is no availability, we can reschedule your appointment. This will mean paying the booking fee again.

Your original booking fee is NOT refunded.

If exceptional circumstances occur your booking fee can get refunded.


You may need to arrange an independent interpreter to attend when you give notice or get married.

The interpreter must bring identification and sign documents confirming they have helped you.

The interpreter cannot be the bride or groom.

If you cannot provide your own interpreter, call 0300 123 6705 and ask to speak to a registrar. They can book an independent interpreter on your behalf.

We charge £80 or this service which is payable at the time of speaking to the registrars.

Got a question?

Call the Registration Service on 0300 123 6705 from 9am to 4.30pm, Monday-Friday