Leaving home

If you are thinking of, or having to leave home there is lots of things to think about. 

Talking the situation through with a trusted adult like a teacher, student mentor or young people service worker can be helpful.

When are you are 16 you can leave home with your parents' consent.  There are various different housing options available to you depending on your age and income. If you are going to be homeless tonight, or you think you might be homeless soon, seek advice straight away from the below organisations.

Your rights

If you are 16 or 17 years old and you are homeless, children's social care must make an assessment of your needs. It does not matter if you go to children's social care or district housing services, if you go to housing, they should refer you to children's social care to be assessed so they can see what help you need.

For more information on your rights as a homeless 16/17 year old see the Coram Voice website.


If you are 16 or 17 years old and you are homeless contact Lancashire Children's Social Care on 0300 123 6720 (or out of hours call 0300 123 6722 8pm-8am Monday to Friday and any time during weekends and bank holidays).

If you would like help, get in touch with us for confidential information, advice and support.

Shelter - to find your local Citizens Advice Bureau, who will talk you through housing options.

More information and advice

Childline - for advice and support if you have run away from home

National Government - for information on what benefits you are entitled to

National Government - to find your local council


In this section