4. Apply for a Blue Badge
Before applying, read the eligibility for a Blue Badge section to make sure you apply under the correct category.
Important information before you start
You will need:
- Your National Insurance Number
- Your driving licence number (if you have one)
- The details of your current Blue Badge (if you have one)
- A passport style photograph, in colour and a true likeness
- Proof of residency*
- Proof of identity*
- Proof of relevant benefits dated within the last 12 months if applying under one of these categories
You can upload these onto the online application form, or onto our enquiry form.
*Proof of residency and identity
Do NOT send original documents
Proof of residency
The following documents are accepted as proof of residency:
- A benefit award letter from the DWP dated within 12 months
- Council tax bill, bank statement, utility bill or water bill dated within the last 12 months
- Driving License (full or provisional) which shows the applicant's current address
- For Children, we can accept an official letter from the school confirming that the child attends the school or a document regarding the child. This must be addressed to the parent of the child at the address where the child lives. The letter/document must be dated within the last 12 months
- For applicants living in a residential / care home, a letter from the home or organisation on letter headed paper confirming they live at that address.
Proof of identity
The following documents are accepted as proof of identity:
- Passport (as long as it is no more than five years past the expiry date)
- Driving License (photo card only)
- Birth Certificate (short or long)
- Adoption Certificate
- Marriage / Divorce certificate.
- Your application is not complete until you have submitted the supporting evidence required.
- You can 'save and return later' to your application via the task list page of the online application.
- You will lose your application after 60 minutes if you have not already saved it.
- You will need to provide an email address and postcode to save your application.
- You can save your application for 7 days.
Apply online for a Blue Badge via the official GOV.UK website:
It may take up to 28 days for us to process your application. We will contact you if there is a problem with your application or you are unsuccessful.