Information, facts and figures
Credo Reference (external link)
- Non-fiction eBooks, images, and easily accessible Topic Pages on a large range of subjects.
- It includes the Britannica Concise Encyclopedia.
- See a handy guide to using Credo in our library academy (external link).
NewsBank (external link)
- UK and world newspaper articles published in the last 5 to 25 years sorted by topic
- All the major world and national daily papers are included as well as many local and regional ones.
- See a video introduction to using Newsbank in our library academy (external link).
Oxford English Dictionary (external link)
- The "OED", Oxford English Dictionary is a historical dictionary and includes the history of individual words as well as present-day meanings.
World Book Online (external link)
World Book Online contains thousands of informational articles with stunning illustrations, videos, interactive maps, research help, and activities.
Several editions are available, all in one place.
- For children around 6 to 10, with thousands of easy-to-read articles packed with illustrations, videos, interactive maps, comparison tools, and a wealth of engaging games and activities
- For students in secondary schools and 6th form college. All the articles from the print versions of the World Book Encyclopaedia plus extra articles, multi-media and learning resources.
- And an Advanced edition. A vast multi-media encyclopaedia integrated in a single search. Useful for general research by adults and college students.
- Plus, a wide range of informative non-fiction and fiction eBooks for all ages on a host of topics that can easily be read in your browser on computer or portable device.
- See a video introduction to using World Book in our library academy (external link).
Access to Research* (external link)
- Free, walk-in access to a wide range of academic articles and research in public libraries across the UK
- Subjects include art, architecture, business, engineering, history, languages, politics, philosophy, mathematics and the sciences.
- All content provided is digital and can be accessed from our People's Network PC.
*Access to Research is only available within our libraries
Public Information Online (external link)
- UK and Great Britain Parliamentary publications in PDF format including parliamentary material such as House of Commons and the Lords papers, bills and amendments and Daily Hansard from the 2006/07 Session onwards.
Oxford Dictionary of National Biography (external link)
- Stories of people who have shaped all aspects of Britain's past, from the fourth century BC to the present day, from royalty to rock stars.
- Search by place to find out who was born, lived or died where you are. It also includes a special page devoted to Lancashire Lives.
Which? Online (external link)
- Consumer product reports and advice guides. Please check availability with your local library.
*Which? is only available within our libraries
Recommended websites (external link)
- Our Good Web Guide is a selection of hundreds of the best websites chosen and checked by library professionals to answer your questions and provide reliable information on a wide range of subjects.