Business, jobs and innovation
Ask About Business (external link)
- A partnership between libraries across the north west
- Information to support pre-start and new businesses, existing businesses, jobseekers, consumers, inventors and business students.
- Includes free access for library members to COBRA Complete Business Reference Adviser.
British Library Business and IP Centre (external link)
- Part of the national network providing pre-start and new businesses, entrepreneurs, innovators and SMEs across the UK advice, workshops and free access to databases, market research, journals, directories and reports worth thousands of pounds.
- Prepare your business plan, find new markets, analyse competitors, credit checking, information on patents and trademarks and much more.
- Book your place at one of the Manchester Business and IP centre start, run and grow your business events.
COBRA Business Adviser (external link via Ask About Business)
- Practical information to help with start-up opportunities, employment, legal, finance, marketing, exporting, health and safety
- Local Area Profiles providing information for prospective business start-ups and small firms by location.
- See a handy guide to using COBRA in our library academy (external link).
British Standards - Access in Libraries (external link)
- British Standards Online (BSOL) is an online database of standards including British Standards Institution (BSI) publications and BSI-adopted European and International standards.
- You can request up to a maximum of 10% of any standard to be printed by library staff for personal, non-commercial use.
British Standards - Access outside Libraries (external link)
- The same BSI standards and publications are available to view outside Libraries, but cannot be printed or saved. Please note, however, that it may not be possible to view standards with the Google Chrome browser or on some mobile devices.
Frost and Sullivan (external link)
- Frost and Sullivan supplies in-depth global market research and strategy reports covering medical technology, chemicals and plastics, automation, electronics, energy systems, environmental and building technologies and IT. You can download up to 10% of one report (limited to two reports per person per calendar month).
*Frost and Sullivan is only available at Lancaster library.
GrantFinder (external link)
- GrantFinder is the leading funding database in the UK covering local, national, and international sources of funding.
Grantfinder is only available at Lancaster library.
IBIS World (external link)
- IBIS World features market research on hundreds of industries in the UK, including statistics, analysis and forecasts. Make use of topical reports and tools such as Brexit Impact Tool and Key European Market analysis.
IBIS World is only available at Lancaster library.
Local Data Online (external link)
- Local Data Online provides up-to-date information on the retail and leisure sector in a particular location, such as a town, city or region. You can break search results down by industry classification, produce area summaries and lists of companies with contact details. Key statistics include the number of vacant units, opening and closure rates, and the mix of independent and chain businesses.
Local Data Online is only available at Lancaster library.
Statista (external link)
- Statista is a source of statistical information on industry sectors, market share, company data and consumer behaviour across the world. Browse current news topics or search and build your own data profile. Written reports are available as well as a range of infographics on important current affairs and topics relevant to business and markets.
Statista is only available at Lancaster library.
NewsBank (external link)
- UK and world newspaper articles published in the last 5 to 25 years sorted by topic
- All the major world and national daily papers are included as well as many local and regional ones.
Universal Skills - Jobseeker skills (external link)
- Help and guides for Jobseekers
- Find a Job, job hunting, CVs/covering letters, interviews and starting work
- Current information on Universal Credit
- Find out more and see how to get started in this guide on our library academy (external link).
Access to Research* (external link)
- Free, walk-in access to a wide range of academic articles and research in public libraries across the UK
- Subjects include art, architecture, business, engineering, history, languages, politics, philosophy, mathematics and the sciences.
- All content provided is digital and can be accessed from our People's Network PC.
*Access to Research is only available within our libraries
Recommended websites (external link)
- Our Good Web Guide has more useful websites to help with a wide range of business and employment needs.