Family and local history
Red Rose Collections (Lancashire County Council)
- Image archive with over thirty thousand historic photographs digitised from the collections in Lancashire Libraries
- Indexes to other resources, held at Lancashire Archives and libraries, such as old local newspapers, local books, Preston Guild Rolls and the Lancashire Police index
Lancashire Archives on Ancestry* (external link)
- Parish records - images of Church of England baptism, marriage, and burial registers from parishes in Lancashire.
*Available at archives/libraries only. Please note that using Ancestry on archives/library PCs will enable you to search Ancestry's records, but not access some Ancestry features such as Family Trees and you may have difficulties attempting to use a personal Ancestry login on an archives/library PC.
Ancestry Institution* (external link)
- Census records, birth, marriage and death indexes, military records, immigration and emigration, and many more public records from the UK.
*Available at archives/libraries only. Please note that using Ancestry on archives/library PCs will enable you to search Ancestry's records, but not access some Ancestry features such as Family Trees and you may have difficulties attempting to use a personal Ancestry login on a archives/library PC.
Find My Past* (external link)
- Public records from England and Scotland going back to 1200, including many from Lancashire Archives.
- Includes census records, parish registers, occupational records, travel and migration, and many more.
*in Lancashire Archives and Libraries only.
Oxford Dictionary of National Biography (external link)
- Stories of people who have shaped all aspects of Britain's past, from the fourth century BC to the present day, from royalty to rock stars.
- Search by place to find out who was born, lived or died where you are. It also includes a special page devoted to Lancashire Lives.
British Library Newspapers 1730 - 1950 (external link)
- Includes the Burnley Express, Lancaster Gazette and Preston Chronicle
- National, regional and local newspapers from the Eighteenth to Twentieth centuries taken directly from the holdings of the British Library.
Times Digital Archive (external link)
- The complete digital edition of The Times (London) from 1785 to 2010.
- Every page of every issue includes headlines, articles, images, editorial, birth and death notices and classifieds.
Mario interactive maps (Lancashire County Council)
- Local maps and aerial photographs. Some historic maps for the region are also available. You can select a location and then overlay historic maps, photographs and information.
- This site also provides interactive information on administrative boundaries and local census and social statistics.
Lancashire Old Maps (Lancashire County Council)
- Online versions of Old Maps of Lancashire and town maps.
Research World War One (external link)
- Online sources for research into World War One with a focus on information available in North West England. Topics include; finding people and memorials, regiments, medals and uniforms, women at war, plus resources for schools.
Recommended websites (external link)
- In our Good Web Guide, there is a selection of some of the best sites to get you going with researching your family tree. They include advice, information and access to some historical records that can be searched online.