Bus Service Improvement Plan
We're making some big improvements to bus services in Lancashire over the next few years with the aim of encouraging people to leave their cars at home and travel by bus. We want to make services more frequent, reliable and affordable, with better information for passengers and a simpler fares which are easier to understand.
Working with local bus operators and Blackburn with Darwen Borough Council, we have been granted Department for Transport funding of £34.1m to support our Bus Service Improvement Plan (BSIP).
Our BSIP includes a range of measures to make buses better and help to create a network of buses which more people use for regular journeys.
These improvements, due to be delivered from 2022 to 2025, include:
- Simpler cheaper fares
- 12-month pilot of inter operator reduced fares for under 22's across the Fylde Coast area
- Bus priority measures – bus lanes and changes to traffic junctions to make journeys quicker and more reliable
- A number of bus service enhancements
We have already made some improvements as part of our BSIP including:
- Reduced fare offers for evening and weekend travel including a flat £1 fare for all journeys after 7pm and buy Saturday get Sunday free
- New Trainlink service between Skelmersdale and Kirkby
- Improved evening and weekend services on a number of routes
We're proposing a new sustainable transport corridor for Colne town centre to improve bus journey times and service reliability
We will carry out public consultation on any bus priority measures which require changes to existing traffic regulations, and this page will be updated with more information as the schemes are designed and developed. The list of agreed bus priority schemes can be found in our Enhanced Partnership document (PDF 1.15 MB)
National Bus Strategy
We have agreed an Enhanced Partnership Scheme, which sets out how we will work closely with bus operators to develop improvements to services which complement the delivery of our Bus Service Improvement Plan.
- Bus Service Improvement Plan (PDF 11.2 MB).
- Bus Service Improvement Plan update 31 October 2022 (PDF 17 MB).
- Lancashire Enhanced Partnership - updated November 2022 (PDF 1.15 MB)
- Notice to Operators regarding the Enhanced Partnership Plan and Scheme - Lancashire County Council (PDF 172 KB)