Enforcing planning permissions and investigating complaints

We monitor planning permissions and investigate complaints about minerals extraction developments, waste management developments and the council's own developments. This is to ensure that all development has the necessary planning permission and is being carried out in accordance with the conditions to that permission.

For more information on our planning enforcement practices and procedures check our planning enforcement policy.

When a member of the public makes a complaint that a mineral or waste development or a council's own development is in breach of planning control, we will:

  • record and acknowledge receipt of the complaint within 5 working days
  • identify the case officer who will be dealing with the complaint
  • confirm what the alleged breach of planning control is
  • enclose a summary of what the council proposes to do to address the complaint

We investigate the complaint within 21 days of receipt and inform the complainant of the result of the investigations within 28 days of receipt of the complaint.

When we receive a complaint about a county council's own development being in breach of planning control we will contact the Chief Officer of the Department responsible for the development. If a breach of planning control has occurred, we will request the relevant chief officer to remedy the breach. The county council cannot take enforcement action against itself using the enforcement tools set out in the Planning Enforcement Policy.

If you are dissatisfied with the way your complaint is being handled you can discuss your concerns with the Head of the Development Control Group or the Head of the Planning Division. If you remain dissatisfied you can follow the council's complaints procedure.

We have no responsibility for investigating complaints or taking enforcement action in Blackpool or Blackburn with Darwen Borough Councils administrative areas.

If you would like to check enforcement actions currently in place, you can view our planning enforcement register by visiting the development management offices at County Hall (Preston) during normal working hours. We can also give you details of the enforcement register on the phone if you ring us on 01772 531929 or 01772 534181.