Support at school

If you are concerned about your child's progress you can talk to their class teacher, form tutor or head of year.

Staff will be tracking your child's progress. If they think your child may have additional needs or special educational needs (SEN) they will discuss these with the SEN coordinator (SENCO).

You can also ask to speak to the SENCO.

Talk to the teacher or SENCO if you think your child needs:

  • a special learning programme
  • extra help from a teacher or assistant
  • to work in a smaller group 
  • help taking part in class activities
  • extra encouragement in their learning, for example to ask questions or to try something they find difficult
  • help communicating with other children
  • support with physical or personal care difficulties, for example eating, getting around school safely or using the toilet

If your child has a disability the school has a duty to make reasonable adjustments. These may include simple adaptations to the physical environment or other aspects of day to day life. The school may also provide specialist equipment.

The school's website will have more information about the support the school can provide if your child has SEN or a disability.

Identifying your child's needs

The SENCO or other staff members may watch your child in the classroom, or assess their learning skills, such as reading, writing or maths. They will ask your permission to do this.

The SENCO will talk to you about any additional needs that are identified.

This will include:

  1. Learning and cognition (thinking)
  2. Language and communication
  3. Physical and sensory
  4. Social, emotional and mental wellbeing.

If your child needs any additional support, the SENCO will agree a support plan with you. This is called SEN support

Assess, plan, do, review

The school will monitor the support plan through a process known as the assess, plan, do, review cycle.  Most children who have SEN, have their needs met through SEN Support. If your child has more complex needs, they might need an assessment from other professionals.

The graduated response

The school will identify children’s needs as early as possible, so that support is put in place, without waiting for more specialist assessments and advice.

Further information and advice

You can find out more about SEN support and the assess, plan, do, review cycle in the guide to SEN support.

Other services that offer information and advice

Contact have a free helpline for families with disabled children as well as online information about education including bullying.

ACE provide independent advice and information on education issues including information on special educational needs.

IPSEA is a charity that offers free and independent information, advice and support around education for children and young people with special educational needs and disabilities.

Children's Education Advisory Service (CEAS) provides impartial advice about the education of service children.