Tell us if you are worried about a child

We have a duty to protect children and young people from harm caused by neglect or abuse. This includes investigating any allegations that a child might be being neglected or abused, and if necessary take appropriate action to protect the child.

Concerned about a child

Call  0300 123 6720 or out of hours 0300 123 6722.

If you think a child is in immediate danger – don't delay call the police on 999.

The NSPCC website has advice about the signs, symptoms and effects of child abuse and neglect.


If you are a professional, complete a Children’s Services request for support to make a referral.

If the child lives outside of Lancashire you should report any concerns to the local authority in the area where the child lives. Contact details are available on their websites:

Concerns about an adult that works with children

If there are immediate safeguarding concerns to the child call 0300 123 6720 or out of hours 0300 123 6722.

If there are no immediate safeguarding concerns to the child inform senior management at the organisation where this person works.

Senior managers must contact the Local Authority Designated Officer (LADO) when they receive an allegation or concern about a person who works with children.