Educating your child at home

Elective home education consultation 

The Department for Education issued revised guidance in respect of elective home education, for both parents and local authorities, in April 2019.

We'd like to hear your views on elective home education to help inform our revised policy statement.

Our consultation is open from Friday 5 February until Friday 9 April 2021. It is our intention to have our revised written statement published on the council's website by 4 June 2021.

Complete the consultation survey

If you are thinking about home education (home schooling), or are already educating your child at home, we can help. Below you will find information about how to take your child out of school, we also provide a range of information and support including events for home educating families.

Most people choose to send their children to school to be educated, but you are legally entitled to educate your child at home.

You don't have to be a teacher, operate to a timetable or follow the national curriculum (although you're perfectly at liberty to do so if you wish).

Parents who choose to educate their children at home must be prepared to assume full financial responsibility, including the costs of any public examinations.

Telling the school or council

If your child has never been to school or you are new to the area you don't have to tell us. 

If your child is registered at school you will need to send a letter to the head teacher informing them that you wish to educate your child at home.  We will then contact you to ask for some basic information.

You must contact us if:

  • Your child attends a special school - in this case we will ask the school to remove the child from the school register once we have received the necessary information from you.
  • Your child is registered at a school as a result of a school attendance order - you must ask the council to revoke the order.

Please let us know if your child returns to school at any point and is no longer home educated. We will then remove your child's name from our database.

Information and support

If you are thinking about home educating and would like to talk to us about your decision, or you wish to register yourself with us please contact us on:

Further information

As part of our work to support home educating families we have compiled the following information:

Contacting you

Local authorities have no statutory duties in relation to monitoring the quality of home education on a routine basis. Lancashire's Elective Home Education (EHE) Team is here to support not inspect.

When we become aware that you are home educating your child, we will contact you to ask for some basic information such as your child's name and date of birth as well as preferred contact details. We will also ask you for a brief outline of your home education, just a few sentences. You do not have to provide this but it will help us confirm that your child is not missing from education. Providing we have no concerns we will normally be in touch once a year to check that you are still home educating and your contact details haven’t changed. If you move house or your child starts school we would be grateful if you could let us know.

You may like to send us these details online:

Submit or update your details

This form is not intended as a referral to our service. If your child is registered at a school, you will need to send a letter to the head teacher informing them that you wish to educate your child at home. Once this is received, the school will complete a referral to our service. If your child is not registered at a school but you would like to register your child with our service, please contact us on 01772 532289 or email

Our procedures are outlined in the document Lancashire elective home education procedures (PDF, 606KB) (revised September 2013). Copies of our paperwork are available on request.

You can view the government guidance for parents and local authorities on GOV.UK.