Funded childcare for 2 year olds

4. Other ways you might be eligible

If you are not getting one of the qualifying benefits you might still be able to claim a funded place.

If your child meets any of the other criteria listed below, please contact one of the people or teams below and they will be able to complete a referral on your behalf:

  • Social worker
  • Health visitor
  • Children and Family Wellbeing Service or
  • Portage worker 

Once we get the referral we will send you an email or letter to confirm your child can claim a funded place.

The other ways children could be eligible are if they:

  • are looked after by the council
  • have left care under a special guardianship order, child arrangements order, or adoption order*
  • get Disability Living Allowance (DLA) 
  • have a current education, health and care (EHC) plan
  • are identified as a child in need
  • have a child protection plan
  • are children of Gypsy Roma Traveller Heritage residing in Lancashire
  • are children of serving armed forces personnel residing in Lancashire
  • are children who meet the criteria for portage from Lancashire County Council (please note referrals relating to this criteria can only be submitted by the Portage Team)

If you’re a non-European Economic Area citizen who cannot claim benefits

Your child may be eligible if you are getting support under the Immigration and Asylum Act and have either:

  • Claimed asylum in the UK and are waiting for a decision (known as ‘part 6’)
  • Been refused asylum in the UK (known as ‘section 4’)

Your child may be eligible if your household income is £15,400 a year or less after tax, and you have either:

  • Leave to remain with 'no recourse to public funds' on family or private life grounds (under Article 8 of the European Convention on Human Rights;
  • The right to live in the UK because you're the main carer of a British citizen (known as a 'Zambrano Carer')
  • Support from your local council because you have a child in need (under section 17 of the Childcare Act), and have no recourse to public funds

*If your child has left care under a special guardianship order, child arrangements order, adoption order or is in receipt of Disability Living Allowance you can send a copy of the order or DLA award letter by post to;

Early Education Funding Team 
Lancashire County Council
Room C27
County Hall

or by email to;

Please do not send originals as we are unable to return them to you.


Page 4 of 10

Funded places for 2-year-olds

Play, learn and grow with a local nursery or childminder

Play, learn and grow with a local nursery or childminder. Hear from our Lancashire providers about the benefits of a 2-year-old place.

Learn more about 2-year-old places