Copy birth certificates
Certificates are available for births within the current Lancashire County Council boundaries only.
If you were born outside of Lancashire County boundaries you will need to contact the Registration Office of the relevant district to obtain a copy of the certificate.
If you were born in Blackburn with Darwen request a copy birth certificate from Blackburn with Darwen Council.
If you were born in Blackpool request a copy birth certificate from Blackpool Council.
Standard birth certificate
This is a certified copy of the birth entry; it includes name at birth, date of birth, place of birth and any parent details.
It is required for passports and other legal purposes.
Standard service £11
Certificates will be posted using Royal Mail second class within 15 working days.
Certificates can be collected in person from Certificate Services, Lancashire Archives, Bow Lane, Preston, PR1 2RE. Please allow 10 working days before collecting certificates unless the priority service has been selected. You can collect your certificate between the hours of 9am to 4pm Monday to Friday (excluding Bank Holidays). Certificates cannot be collected from a registration office.
Priority service £35
The priority service enables the certificate to be available for collection in person or posted, first class, within 24 hours of application. The service includes the cost of one certificate. Additional copies of the same certificate cost £11. Copies of a different certificate will cost an additional £35.
Orders received before 3pm on a working day will be issued and posted the next working day using Royal Mail first class.
Collection in person from Certificate Services, Lancashire Archives, Bow Lane, Preston, PR1 2RE is available:
- Next working day for orders received before 3pm. Please allow 24 hours from order time before collecting.
- The beginning of the second working day after the order date on orders received after 3pm, e.g. ordered on Monday after 3pm will be ready for collection on Wednesday.
- Orders placed on a Saturday, Sunday or Bank Holiday will be available at the beginning of the second working day following the weekend or Bank Holiday, e.g. ordered on Saturday will be ready for collection on Tuesday.
Lancashire County Council cannot be held responsible for any delays with the Royal Mail service.
Records of adoptions in England and Wales are held by the General Register Office.
Information you need to provide
- Full name at birth
- Date of birth
- Place of birth (full address or name of hospital)
- Fathers full name
- Mothers full name at time of child's birth (including maiden name)
How to request a copy birth certificate
Call 0300 123 6705 Monday to Friday from 8am to 5pm.
Mail or in person
You can write to us or visit us at the following address:
Lancashire Certificate Services
We are open from 9am to 4pm Monday to Friday.
When applying in person there may be a waiting time whilst the certificate is being produced.
Cheques or postal orders should be made payable to Lancashire County Council.