Documents required when giving notice

If you’re divorced or your civil partnership was dissolved, or your previous spouse or civil partner has died

Please bring the original court stamped final order (known as a decree absolute prior to 6 April 2022) with you when you come to your notice appointment. Photocopies are not acceptable. If your divorce was not granted in a UK court, additional fees of up to £75 for each divorce will be payable on the day of your appointment.

If you are not using the name on the final order (decree absolute) and do not have a change of name document to evidence this, you will also need to provide a copy of your marriage certificate(s).

If your dissolution was not granted in a UK court and the documents are not written in English, we will need a full translation of your documents, including any stamps. Depending on the country where your dissolution took place, the registration officer may also need to get in touch with the General Register Office to confirm if your proposed Marriage or Civil Partnership can go ahead. Please note that this could delay the issue of your Marriage or Civil Partnership Schedule and may affect how soon you can get married/form a Civil Partnership. Please phone us for advice, if needed, on 0300 123 6705 during opening hours, which are Monday to Friday 9am to 4.30pm.

If you are not recorded on the death certificate as the spouse/civil partner of the deceased person you will need to provide your marriage or civil partnership certificate.

Page 5 of 7