Lancashire County Council Logo
My location

Your location enables us to provide information about services in your area.

Apply for a waste permit

If you use a van, certain types of commercial vehicles or a trailer, you must apply for a free permit before you visit one of our recycling centres. For more information see our access policy.

Permits are free to people living within the county council's boundaries.

Apply for a waste permit

We will post the permit to your home address. Please allow up to seven days for receipt of the permit.

Types of waste permits

There are two types of permits available:

Recyclable waste permit

This permit offers unlimited use of a recycling centre for a full calendar year to deliver the following types of recyclable rubbish:

  • Green garden waste
  • Newspapers and magazines
  • Glass bottle and jars
  • Plastic bottles
  • Textiles, clothes and shoes
  • Cardboard
  • Drink cans and food tins
  • Carrier bags
  • Household batteries

The recycling centre attendant will not allow you to deposit any items not listed above. For all other types of rubbish you must obtain a general waste permit.

You must sign your recyclable waste permit and you will need to present it to a site attendant on request on each visit.

You can visit your nominated recycling centre as often as you wish in the nominated vehicle.

General waste permit

A general waste permit is issued for all other types of rubbish not covered by the recyclable waste permit including bulky items, wood, scrap metal, rubble and hardcore.

You can obtain a general waste permit for any of the types of rubbish accepted by the recycling centres. You can only take to the recycle centre the rubbish shown on your permit.

Each permit only allows one visit per calendar month to a recycling centre.

If you need more than one trip to the recycling centre in a calendar month, you can order up to three months permits at one time. Each permit will state which month it is valid for. However, you can use these permits for up to two months before and two months after the month stated on the permit.

For example, if you need to visit the recycling centre three times in a weekend in January, you can request a permit for January but also you can request permits for February and March in advance so you can use them in January instead.

If you don't need to make the extra trips to the recycling centre after all, you can either 

  • Return the unused permits to the waste management team at the address printed on the permit or hand it to a member of staff on site. We will delete the permit from your record.
  • Keep the permit and use it at a later date. Remember that permits are valid for two months after the month stated on the permit; for example a permit with a March date will still be valid until the end of May.

If you visit a recycling centre with a van towing a trailer (double or single axle) and there is waste in both the van and the trailer, you will need two permits.