Young people Qualifying for Advice and Assistance

You are a Young person Qualifying for Advice and Assistance if:

You are 16-21 and;

  • have been in care at some point after your 16th birthday for less than 13 weeks since the age of 14
  • have been privately fostered at any time after reaching the age of 16 but before reaching the age of 18
  • were in the care of the local authority prior to becoming subject to a Special Guardianship Order (SGO)

What you can expect from Lancashire Children's Social Care

You could get help accessing education, training or employment. As well as advice and information to make sure you're getting all the financial support you are entitled to and help you find somewhere to live.

A personal adviser from the Professional Personal Adviser Team will complete a needs assessment with you to see what support we can provide. If the assessment identifies that you need some support then you will need a 'Plan' which outlines what support you need, for how long and who will provide you with support.

Financial support

  • Vacation Accommodation-if you are doing a degree course away from home and you need accommodation during university holidays then funding will be provided
  • Funding from the 16-19 Bursary Fund from your school, college or training provider to fund transport costs or equipment.
  • University tuition fee and maintenance support from the Government see student finance (external link) for more information

Any support will be based on your needs assessment or meeting certain criteria. There are some exceptions to these entitlements and some young people may be entitled to additional benefits or funding in exceptional circumstances. You should speak to your personal adviser if you have any questions about what you are entitled to.


If you think you are a Young person Qualifying for Advice and Assistance you can contact us on 0300 123 6720 and a personal adviser will get in touch to arrange a time to come and see you.