Dental care for care leavers

It is important to keep your teeth and gums healthy. Even if you don’t think there is anything wrong with your teeth it is important to see your dentist every six to twelve months for a check-up.

How to register with a dentist

Phone the receptionist and ask if you can register. Don’t worry if they tell you they are not able to accept new patients, just choose another dentist.

Just like when you register with the GP, you will probably need to go to the dentist and complete a registration form. You do not need to provide ID but this may help with registration. If you do not have any ask your personal adviser for support with this as they will be able to provide this to your dentist.

Emergency dental treatment

If you are not registered with a dentist and need emergency dental treatment, you can contact 0333 332 3800. Please be aware that an appointment offered could be out of the area you are living.

Paying for treatment

You may have to pay for your dental treatment however it is free if you are:

  • under 18 or under 19 and in full-time education
  • pregnant or if you have had a baby in the 12 months before you have treatment
  • claiming some benefits (check with the receptionist beforehand)

Make sure you ask the receptionist before you have a check-up or treatment whether you will need to pay and how much it will cost.

If you have any dental costs from recent treatment at the dentist please speak to your personal adviser as soon as possible.

Advice and support

  • East Lancashire 01254 283399
  • Central Lancashire 01772 777220
  • Morecambe Bay 0300 1234 010


Care leavers local offer