Certificate corrections

Corrections to certificates can only be made when the information given at the time of registration is wrong, for example a mistake was made when recording occupation details.

You can't apply for a correction to show new information if circumstances change after you've registered for example, if you move house or start a new job.

A correction can only proceed when we are sure that an error exists and is supported by appropriate documentary evidence. Unfortunately, it is not possible to give a comprehensive guide for every instance but you can discuss your personal situation with your local register office who will be able to advise you further.

Minor mistakes in occupations, birthplaces or addresses can be authorised by the local Register Office but more complex mistakes involving things like names or parentage need the authority of the Registrar General and may take longer to resolve. The fee for considering if a correction can go ahead and be authorised locally is £75. If the correction needs the authority of the Registrar General the fee is £90.

You will be advised accordingly of the procedure and how the correction will be made and will also be told about what documentary evidence will be needed. You will be guided through if necessary the process of competing an application form.

If your application is approved, a correction is made to the original register entry in the office for the area where the registration took place.

Further advice


Contact the Registration Service:

0300 123 6705 - Monday - Friday 9am - 4.30pm