Next phase of congestion-busting scheme in Colne starts soon
Friday, May 7, 2021
People are being warned to expect delays as work gets underway on the next phase of major highway improvements along Vivary Way and North Valley Road in Colne.
Work began in September 2020 on a £1m programme to boost safety and reduce congestion on what is one of Lancashire's busiest routes by reducing queues on the M65, and making junctions operate more effectively.
This next phase of the project is due to begin on Monday 17 May. This is expected to take around 12 weeks, and includes widening parts of Vivary Way, making changes to lane priorities, and improvements to signing, traffic signals and the road surface at a number of junctions.
This work is crucial to reduce queues by making the junctions work more efficiently, and improving the way drivers are directed towards their destinations, however some short-term disruption will be unavoidable.
To minimise disruption as much as possible, much of the work will take place overnight, and Vivary Way will be closed between 7pm and 6am from Friday 28 May to Friday 25 June. North Valley Road will also be closed between 7pm and 6am from Monday 12 July to Friday 30 July. Signed diversions will be in place during these closures.
Some of the work will also need daytime lane closures, and temporary lights will be operating at the Crown Way/Barrowford Road junction for around one week, with people travelling in this area being asked to expect delays particularly at peak times. To minimise disruption as much as possible, the traffic management will be closely monitored throughout the daytime so that adjustments can be made if necessary.
Phil Durnell, Lancashire County Council director of highways and transport, said: "Vivary Way and North Valley Road is one of Lancashire's most congested routes and this project is essential to improve safety by reducing queues on the M65. The improvements to the junctions will also make a difference to people's journey times.
"We have carefully planned this project to minimise disruption as much as possible, however because the road is so busy the work will inevitably cause some delays, particularly during this phase over the next 12 weeks.
"Much of the work will be done overnight, however there will also be some lane closures and temporary lights in operation during the day, and I'd ask people to be aware of this and leave extra time for their journeys.
"We're sorry for the inconvenience and grateful for people's patience while we make these vital improvements which will make a real difference once they are complete."
The scheme being delivered by the county council's highways team includes:
• Improvements to lane marking and signing on the Vivary Way approach to the M65 Colne roundabout to make it easier for drivers to choose the correct lane.
• Widening and the introduction of bollards on Vivary Way A6068 on the eastbound approach to the Crown Way/Barrowford Road junction to provide lane separation and reduce 'queue jumping'.
• Improvements to the traffic signals at the Crown Way/Barrowford Road junction to reduce delays.
• Widening of Vivary Way A6068 on the eastbound approach to the Vivary Way/North Valley Road roundabout to allow drivers to turn left onto Harrison Drive whilst vehicles are queuing in the ahead lane.
• Improvements to the traffic signals at the Vivary Way/North Valley Road roundabout to reduce delays.
• Introduction of a right turn 'pocket' to reduce the blocking of North Valley road from traffic waiting to enter the Sainsbury's petrol station.
• Improvements to 2 existing pedestrian crossings along Vivary Way and North Valley Road.
• Resurfacing parts of Vivary Way.
Tagged as: Roads, Parking and Travel