Primary English and Literacy
Welcome to the Lancashire Primary English and Literacy page. Here you will find a great mix of expert guidance, exciting resources and interesting links that can help to impact teaching and learning in your primary classroom.
View our English Courses.
English Consultancy and School-based training for schools and other agencies can be tailored to meet the needs of individual members of staff, groups of staff, or the whole school staff team. These can be delivered by members of our English team on a full-day, half-day, staff meeting or an evening twilight basis.
Advice and support can be provided across a range of topics including:
- Improving subject knowledge (eg Phonics, Spelling, Reading, Writing, Grammar) for teachers and teaching assistants
- Support for the English Subject Leader to audit, monitor and implement action plans
- Planning units of work with individual teachers
- Assessing reading and writing for every year group; moderating reading and writing with individual teachers and/or Subject Leaders
- Working with Subject Leadership teams to support action planning and monitoring
We can provide bespoke packages of support including the above, tailored to meet the needs of your school.
The Primary English and Literacy Team at Lancashire Professional Development Service (LPDS) have developed a new systematic, synthetic phonics planning programme using the Letters and Sounds approach titled Red Rose Letters and Sounds.
Early Years, Support documents for Phonics Leaders, Approved Phonics Providers and Resources, Assessment and Progression in Letters and Sounds 2021, The Year 1 Phonics Screening Check, CLL Audit, Phonics at KS2, HF Words and Common Exception Words and more useful documents. Annual subscription required for Premium Resource access.
Reading and Writing Resources and Support
Key Learning, Guided Reading, Shared Reading, Learning and Progression Steps, Vocabulary, EYFS Guided Reading, Domain Question Prompts, Book Band Bookmarks, Reading Response Prompts, Activities for Responding to Reading (Y1-Y6) and many other resources. Annual subscription required for Premium Resource access.
Shared Writing, Key Learning, Learning and Progression Steps, Non-negotiables, EYFS Writing, Guided Writing, Y6 Writing Unit, Grammar Resources, Vocabulary, Children's Targets and Prompts, Narrative / Non-Narrative Tablemats, Table-top Tips, Grammar and Punctuation Mats, Boys, More Able Pupils, Spelling and more. Annual subscription required for Premium Resource access.
- Updated English Events Calendar 22/23
- New! Reading Suite for Monitoring
- Lancashire Matching Chart for Phonics
- UPDATED VLOG Directory January 2022
- UPDATED! Reading Events Calendar 2021 / 2022
- NEW! Developing Reading Expertise Across Your School.
- Writing Opportunities to Support the Reading Phase
- NEW! CLL Overview of Key Documents 2021
Lancashire Reading Partners
- NEW! English Unit Planning Guidance
- NEW! Mixed Age Key Learning in Reading and Writing Y1 - 2 / Y3 - 4 / Y4 - 5 / Y5 - 6
- NEW! Assessment and Progression in Handwriting