Ordering copies and publications
What we can offer
We are pleased to supply digital downloads of archive material held here whenever possible, although we are also able to provide hard copies if required. We also produce Archives - Lancashire History Magazine.
We do however always have to consider whether the copying process might harm the books and documents in our care. Some items are too large or bulky for us to copy without risk of damage, while others are too fragile, or have seals which might be damaged by the copying process. We are not able to supply copies of documents over A2 in size as a single item.
Wherever possible we will offer you a safe alternative method of reproducing the document or the opportunity to take your own photographs under supervision.
We also have to act in accordance with current copyright laws and to respect the wishes of owners who have restricted the copying of their documents.
Our new magazine, Archives, celebrates the rich and diverse history of Lancashire. It is full of stories about the people, places and events that shaped the county.
The magazine is on sale at Lancashire Archives and all Lancashire Libraries, priced at £3. Please contact Lancashire Archives for postal orders of the magazine, email us at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 01772 533039.
How to contribute
Have you got a story to tell or some research to share? Would you like to see your local history story in print? We are looking for submissions that relate to the history of Lancashire, its people, or places – from ancient history to the present day.
If you have an idea you’d like to discuss, please contact us at email@example.com and we’d be pleased to discuss your suggestion. Contributions can be anything relating to the history of Lancashire. Subjects could include:
- The history of your town or village, your home or street
- The story of a famous or notable person from Lancashire
- Stories of individuals or communities marginalised from previous documented history
- Histories of important events or occurrences in the County
- Reminiscence and personal stories about childhood, working lives or individual experiences
- Family history research
- The history of local businesses, clubs, societies or public organisations
General Contributor Information
- Lancashire Archives will acknowledge all contributions received by authors.
- Articles must be submitted prior to the advertised copy deadline to be considered for publication.
- A decision to publish will be at the discretion of Lancashire Archives and articles may be held on file for future publication.
- Lancashire Archives may edit your submission or include additional images or information.
- Lancashire Archives is unable to pay contributor fees.
- Submissions should be sent in preference by email to firstname.lastname@example.org and clearly marked, or posted to Lancashire Archives, Bow Lane, Preston. The Archives will be unable to return content submitted by post unless by prior agreement.
- Articles should be between 500 and 1500 words, but longer articles can be submitted for consideration by prior agreement.
- Please include suitable images, if possible scanned at 300dpi as TIF files – please let us know if this is not possible so alternative images can be identified. Copyright and usage permissions should be provided for all images submitted.
- Please include your name and contact details with your submission. Contact information will be held in compliance Lancashire Archives privacy notice.
The copy deadline for submissions for the next edition is Friday 17 March 2023.