Covid winter grant scheme
The Covid winter grant scheme was set up in November last year to support families and individuals who need extra help during the school holidays.
The scheme provided help to families and some vulnerable individuals with:
- Vouchers for families to buy food during the Christmas, February half term and Easter holidays
- Help with household energy bills
The eligibility criteria for the support was varied but included:
- Families eligible for benefits-related free school meals. These vouchers were distributed by the child's school.
- Teenagers in the care of the council but who live semi-independently
- Young people who have recently left care
- Other vulnerable families and people. The council identified this group of people, and applied discretion to support those most in need. An example could be a family with a specific care plan with social services.
The scheme is now closed and all the funding has been distributed to families in need. Some eligible families in the most recent allocation were sent codes that did not work and the council is currently resolving this. Read more about what to do if you received a code that did not work.
If you have suffered a loss or reduction in your income due to coronavirus, our guide explains the different ways you may be able to get financial help.